Tarragona is a city located in the south of Cataluña and east of Spain, by the Mediterranean Sea. It is the capital of this same province. With a lot of traditions, the city attracts the tourists with its beaches and its artistic culture.
The history of the city begins with the Punic Wars. Publio and Cneo Escipion take the city in 218 before JC and after building the walls; they transform it into a military base for the Roman army. Capital of Citerior, it becomes a beautiful and wealthy city. In the 5th century, the city is faced to German invasions, the walls are destroyed and a period of decadence begins until the conquest by Eurico in 475. Then, the Muslims take the city in 714; Tarragona is flourishing again with the Cordoba emirate and caliphate.
In 1372, Pedro el Cerimonioso enforces payments rights for the merchandises and in 1374 he tries to abolish the Episcopal seigneury. The Catholic Kings confirm the privileges of the city and force the others cities to deal with their harbor but they refuse.
In 1789, the construction of a new harbor is allowed and Ruiz de Apodaca is in charge. In 1802, they rehabilitate the harbor to bargain with America. In 1811, the general Suchet conquers the city after a strong resistance. From the second half of XIX century, the city reaches its wealthiest situation thanks to the labor in the harbor and the commercial activities. From 1960, the activities relating to the ports are reinforced by new modern industries.
Monuments of Tarragona
Museo arqueologico: The pieces on display illustrate the process of Romanization that took place on the Iberian Peninsula. This museum was created in the 19th century and is the oldest in Catalonia in its field. The majority of its collection has been recovered over the last 150 years. In its rooms you will also find numerous remains of sculptures, mosaics, architectural items, ceramics, household and military utensils, amphorae, clothing, funerary objects, coins…
Tarragona Cathedral: Its construction began in 1184, over the remains of an old Christian basilica. t was made in Romanesque style, in transition to Gothic. The church has a Latin-cross plan, with three naves and an accentuated transept, over which stands an impressive octagonal dome.
Anfiteatro Romano: Built in the 2nd century A.D., the amphitheatre was the setting for popular spectacles, such as fights between gladiators. In the central part, the remains of the plan of a Visigoth basilica are preserved as well as those of a Romanesque-Gothic church from the 12th century.
Circo romano: The circus was built towards the end of the 1 A. D., possibly during the times of the Emperor Domician. The building was used for events such as chariot races.
Necrópolis Romana y Paleocristiana: The necropolis was used as the city’s cemetery from the Roman era until the 7th century. The majority of these finds can be seen in Tarragona’s Archaeological Museum.
Paseo arqueologico: Three towers and several sections of the wall still remain intact. It was built in the latter stages of the 3rd century B.C. and the beginning of the second century B.C. Of the original wall only the upper area section is still standing.